Learn the core Bushcraft ‘wilderness living’ skills of creating fire from flint and steel using only natural materials, and develop knife skills to craft camp tools essential for wilderness living. Book your Dorset introductory bushcraft course at Insight Activities today!
BUSHCRAFT – ‘WILDERNESS LIVING SKILLS’ DAY IN DORSET
- Person Ages 12+
Full Day ‘Wilderness Living Skills’ Session in Dorset
On this Bushcraft – wilderness living skills’ course at our Dorset woodland, we will delve deeper than the ½ day bushcraft session, with a more comprehensive look at the core bushcraft skills. Learn more advanced fire lighting techniques, advanced knife working skills and general woodland environmental awareness.
The emphasis here is on quality rather than quantity but content can include:
- Learn to light a fire using flint & steel, or a bow-drill and potentially cook on the fire using a variety of techniques.
- Make a shelter using tarpology.
- Learn about plants, trees and wildlife in the woodland, forage for food, learn animal tracks and signs.
- Adopt safe and efficient knife skills and further develop the practical skills essential for wilderness living and camp craft. Craft a spoon, make some cordage, make more intricate pot hangers amongst many other craft projects.
- The exact nature of the day will be largely steered by the seasons’ offerings and the individual group’s interests.
- Learn how to harvest materials in a harmonious way with the woodland, look at the pros and cons of various fire lighting methods and fire lays, and most importantly – how to reduce impact and leave no trace.
Bushcraft is about far more than just surviving, it’s about thriving and enhancing the woodland through ethical collection and use of materials, understanding your environment and minimising impact, whilst also getting what we need to survive.
These are top quality, authentic bushcraft courses in Dorset delivered by highly qualified, experienced and passionate instructors. For Bushcraft courses, we require an initial booking of 5 people, perfect for larger families and groups. Smaller numbers can then book once a session is confirmed (Ages 8+)
- No previous experience expected or required. Pre-booking is essential. We welcome families, couples, businesses and stag & hen parties.
- If booking a full day with us then please bring a picnic. Water will be available for refills and there is also a composting toilet facility in the woods.
- Please contact us if you would like to arrange a bespoke session, or to arrange an overnight campout on one of our Dorset Bushcraft Courses. There’s also some short YouTube videos for an idea of what to expect.
- Comfortable outdoor clothing suitable for the weather conditions. Waterproofs, spare layers, suncream / hat if required.
- Closed-toe shoes, trainers are fine
- Please bring soft drinks / snacks if required
- Any medication if required
- Please ensure you arrive 15 mins before the session start time
- Have another question? Please see our FAQ / Help page